Thursday, January 1, 2009

9 in 2009

Happy New Year's!!!

Can't believe how fast 2008 went by; it certainly was an exciting one for us, but I say that every year and this past year didn't even have a huge momentous event like having a baby, moving across the country, or buying our first house. Life itself is truly adventure enough!
I read an article recently that making new year's resolutions stresses people out and that maybe we shouldn't make any in order to feel more at peace with who we are now. I thought about it for awhile, but in my mind resolutions have always been a way to learn something new and improve ourselves. It doesn't have to be stressful, sure you might not meet every one or even one but I think we should always try to grow and learn; you can do that and still be happy with who you are now. That might sound like an oxymoron: being happy with what you have and still trying to change but it really is possible. Life would be boring if we stayed the same all the time, forever so with that spirit in mind I decided to make nine resolutions in honor of the year 2009.
  1. Exercise consistently, aim for 30 minutes a day 5 out of 10 days at least - that may not seem like a lot but it's a huge step forward from the sporadic at best routine I maintain now.
  2. Try a new recipe once a week - we eat out way too much and it's because we make the same things over and over and I am bored of them, Brad will have to help me with this one as he's the primary cook in our household but he's always willing if I'm willing to choose and plan.
  3. Learn basic sewing skills, make three or more projects on my sewing machine - got sewing machine in 2005, total projects made...zero, need to change that.
  4. Drink fewer diet sodas and diet ice teas, cut back to two total a day or less - all those artificial chemicals probably aren't too good for me but water all the time with just a little milk gets repetitive.
  5. Eat better snacks, eat a serving of fruit or veggies before reaching for Doritos.
  6. Keep a five minute journal, write one or two sentences about each day: observations, things ER says, what I am thankful for etc.
  7. Begin learning activities and art activities on a regular basis with ER.
  8. Do strength, toning, and flexibility exercises 2-3 times a week.
  9. Reflect on progress toward resolutions monthly, keep a list of them in view and update them as needed.
There now I've tried to make them attainable and measurable and as I reach each one (See positive thinking!) I'll make expand on it or make a new one to replace it. It doesn't really matter if I make one or not, because in my mind it's the trying to better oneself and improve that really matters. The biggest shame would be if I didn't model for my daughter that trying your best and being your best is really what's important. What do you think? Have any resolutions of your own?

1 Friends Said:

Holly said...

WOW... I should just copy and paste your resolutions! Thanks again for stopping by!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP