Sunday, January 11, 2009

Felt Heart Cookies

I have been diligently attempting to sew on my machine over the past few days. The first few attempts were definitely not camera ready! I just ripped the seams out of a fleece doll; I attached the arms too low and it looks more like a monster than a cute new baby for ER. I also tried making a teddy bear, using an old sweater but it stretched a lot, not that I should be surprised by that! I have to finish it anyway, because ER saw it on my table and she's been asking for it all day. It just goes to show that your little one won't notice all the mistakes!
Today I practiced and got a few tips from my Bend the Rules Sewing book by Amy Karol, over Angry Chicken, one of the first blogs I started reading. I think my stitching straight is going well, so I started working on curves by finally making the felt cookies I planned hand sew for ER and her friends for Halloween. Some aren't too pretty, but over all I am proud of myself these are my first completed project made on my sewing machine; bringing me a third closer to meeting one of my resolutions!
I started by making a circle template by tracing the bottom of a glass, tracing it with my handy dandy disappearing ink pen, and cutting out several sugar cookie tops and bottoms for my felt cookie sandwiches out of cream by the sheet felt. This felt is super cheap, less than a dollar a sheet and often on sale at Micheal's or Joann's. You need two sugar cookie pieces per sandwich and one solid circle for the felt cookie filling for a total of three circle of felt.
Make smaller heart template. Lay on felt cookie top and trace half of the heart with pen. Remove smaller heart template, fold cookie top in half. I pinned it so I could take a picture, but I just held it and cut the heart out. The cookie bottom and cookie filling will be solid circles of felt.
Make your felt heart cookie sandwich by layering a sugar cookie bottom, red felt, and sugar cookie top in a stack. Pin to help reduce slippage. Stitch around circle.
Enjoy how quickly your pile of zero calorie treats pile up. I made cherry red, blueberry blue, and grape purple heart sugar cookie sandwiches. I am going to give ER and my friend Margaret's two little girls each a set of four cookies as part of their Valentine's Day presents. I think I'll look for some small Valentine themed plastic Gladware containers with lids to give them in. I've seen them wrapped in cute printed Chinese take-out boxes, but I think for the two year olds the Gladware containers will hold up the best, give them something to store them in, and look cute in their play kitchens. I might also put a few running stitches in around the heart outline to secure them a bit better too.

7 Friends Said:

Vickie said...

That is so cute! Gosh, I wish I could sew. I tried with my daughter's sewing machine for kids, but the stitches seem to keep coming out. Like it doesn't go thru the fabric.

Oh well.

Katie said...

Thanks Vickie! You're the best encouragement a girl could want, but don't look at them too closely or you will be sooooo unimpressed the circle of stitches are a wobbily so say the least!

Ms Muffin said...

These are really cute! I love felt food. I really have to make some for my daughter ...

Miss Muffin

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

sooooo cute!!! do you sell these??

Katie said...

OMG, if you could see the backside of these you wouldn't be asking if I sell them! I put the best looking ones on top ☺

Ms Muffin said...

I finally took the time to make some felt cookies. Thanks again for sharing yours - they really inspired me and I made some similar ones. However, I handsewed them. Couldn't be bothered to get out the sewing machine for them. :-) And I should have made a paper pattern like you did. Mine aren't exactly the same size ... but I figured my daughter won't care anyway and I gotta start to be less of an perfectionist. :-)
You're of course very welcome to check mine out
http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentine-treat-for-my-small-sweety.html

Have a great day!

Tami said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
http://funfamilycrafts.com/felt-heart-cookies/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP