Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Letter Activities: A is for Apple Tree

The plan was to introduce the letters to my two and half year old in thematic order and tying them into things she is interested in. So I didn't intend on doing letter A now, especially since most of the lessons and activities I used while teaching revolve around apples, a theme best suited for the fall.

Then cutting became the favored activity in our house, and we ended up with a lot of green scraps from it. What do you do with a pile of little bits and pieces of green construction paper, but make an apple tree, of course!She has only been using these spring handled toddler scissors for a week or so. To make it easier for her, I cut paper into strips and she makes a lot of little snips into them. About half of the time she snips and rips but sometimes she does manage to make consecutive clips and cut a piece off. I freehand drew a tree top onto green cardstock. I used green so that any gaps wouldn't look weird and because I thought the thicker paper would hold up better to all the excess glue ER would most likely be squeezing onto it.

In the end, I had to add the glue, because true to form she sqeezed out half the bottle when I left the room to answer the phone. Other than that set back, she had grand ol' time gluing on all the pieces.I cut out the tree top shape and a letter A shape out of brown construction paper. I like this version of an apple tree activity because the letter A shape is incorporated into it. Then I laid it all out for ER to see. She was able to reassemble it and glue it down almost all by herself. I mainly had to monitor glue usage.

We used five red buttons to represent our apples. You could also use pom poms or circles cut out of red paper. Then I attached a fingerplay poem to the bottom. We've been singing the song together a few times a day, and she is so cute singing it!
Five Red Apples in an Apple Tree Fingerplay
Five red apples hanging in a tree (hold up five fingers)
The juciest apples you ever did see.
The wind came along and gave an angry frown (flutter fingers)
And one little apple came tumbling down. (hold up five fingers and bring one down)
Continue counting down with: Four red apples...etc
Author Unknown - Please share it with me if you know who it is by!

10 Friends Said:

Anonymous said...

Real cute, Katie! The red buttons really *top* it off! ☺

I think your header should be whatever *you* want it to be. Ask 10 different girls and you'll probably get 10 different opinions! ♥

DairyQueen said...

seriously...we are doing the letter A this week and apple!

We are combining fruits of the spirit in some, but we are going to do some apple crafts too. If you're interested in what I've bookmarked, you can look here: http://delicious.com/dairyqueen03/apple

Have a fun day!

Ashlee said...

Mary just turned two, and I've been so excited to get her started with scissors and glue. You have inspired me. I think a "letter of the day" or "letter of the week" theme is in order. Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas!

Kris said...

What a cute apple tree! I love how the trunk is actually an A!!!

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

love the A tree~ i love seeing your lil girl doing all these fun activities! you are such a good mommy ♥

noelle

Annie said...

Wow, it look fantastic. I like the idea.

Where did you bought the toddler scissors?

Vickie said...

This is so cute! You know me...I love buttons!

Sheila said...

Love this letter craft,Katie! I will definitely be doing this with Harper. They buttons are just too darn cute! I'll have to dip into my button stash for some red ones!!!

Heidi Boos said...

Perfect letter "A" craft! We have really been working with scissors (ever since your post on ABC123). I keep saying this, but I really need to start working on letter activities. This idea will go in the "must do" pile! ;)

♥ meninheira ♥ said...

Ohhhhhhhhh sooo cute!! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP