Sunday, November 15, 2009

Exploding Box Mini Scrapbook and Gift Box

Making an Exploding Box Mini Scrapbook has been on my to do list for quite some time. My Dad's birthday is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and we're celebrating it with my family one week from today.

Since the Christmas holidays are also approaching, it seemed like the perfect time to finally put one together. It's a gift in and of it self, a neat way to give a small present, and a special "card" all in one! I followed instructions, found here.
Cut three pieces of double sided scrapbook paper to the following sizes: 9X9, 8.5X8.5, and 8X8. I had a little bit of a tough time finding suitable masculine papers to use; these all came from one line so I thought they'd coordinate well.
Score the 9X9 at 3 inch intervals to to create nine equal boxes. Score the 8.5X8.5 paper at 2 and 13/16" intervals to create nine sections, this measurement is seriously the hardest part of the whole deal. Score the remaining 8X8 piece at 2 and 5/8" inch intervals.
Fold score marks, cut out corner portions of each piece of paper, and round corners. Decorate each flap but not the centers, except for one the smallest piece. Stack from largest to smallest piece of paper. Glue together at middle section.
Cut a piece of paper to 5 and 1/8 inch, score at 7/8 inch on each side. Also score diagonal at each corner. Make score marks before you decorate the top. {I've provided the same measurements given in the tutorial I followed. I think I messed up a bit on my measurements for the lid and that they should've been a teensy bit smaller, because mine gaps every so slightly.}
Fold in each side to create top lid to box. Folding diagonal portion as shown above. Use strong double sided tape to adhere.
I decided to also add a picture and sticker to the inside of the lid, this also covers up the prongs from the two metal brad's that poke through from the top.
Aren't the pages fun? You can flip through them and get glimpses of the patterned paper I used. I may go back and add a few quotes to the patterned side.
And what's inside this little picture box? A new photo ornament, for Papa (that's what ER calls my Dad) to hang on the Christmas tree. Maybe it'll be the first one put on, when it goes up shortly after Thanksgiving. It seemed only right that Dad got an exploding box since he also got an exploding card for his birthday one year. I'll share that, next Sunday. If I can find the pictures I took of it.It wasn't too hard, once I figured out the measurements. I was thinking it would be fun craft for older elementary aged kids to work on and even younger kiddos would enjoy picking out the photos. It'd make a nice thank you gift, like after a really fun sleepover. Remember those?

I am really happy with how it came out. There is just one detail I'd point out. See how I used lined paper for my outside piece of paper? That's the 9X9 piece. I didn't think about the orientation of the paper's design. I think a polka dot or one that looks the same from any direction works best. Won't make that mistake again☺
Part of Heidi's Monthly Craft Challenge at Blue Eyed Blessings, check out what the other bloggers have done with photos this month too! Also linked to...

15 Friends Said:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Seriously awesome!! I'm totally stealing this idea for my husband for Christmas!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!

melinda@mamabearscubhouse said...

wow, you're so talented! what a beautiful gift!

***Sharon*** said...

Katie - that is SO SO SO CUTE! Grandpa is so lucky to receive such a wonderful gift!

Heidi Boos said...

I really, really love this!! I'm going to put this on my "to do" list as well. It will make a great Christmas present and I love the little ornament inside! Thanks for linking up this idea to the monthly craft challenge!

Dawn said...

oh, I love this!! thank you for sharing! Yours came out great!

Jenny said...

That is awesome! What a cute gift idea!

Mama King said...

You are seriously CRAFTY!! What an amazing present.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That is soooooo cool! I love it!!

cindy said...

Katie, this is just sooooo awesome! I'm thinking making one with my daughter's senior pictures would be cool for her Open House in the spring. Thanks so much for linking up to the party :o)

Its So Very Cheri said...

How adorable. I would love to have you post this to my Monday party --Its So Very Creative.

Cheri

Vickie said...

Katie!! That gift box is so cool! It looks wonderful!

I am tellin' ya! Crafty, crafty!!

I am checkin' out them other challenge blogs!

Roeshel said...

Sorry I'm late! What an awesome gift! You did a fantastic job! I love it! So personal and perfect. Thank you so much for sharing in the DIY holiday party! :)

Roeshel

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

That is so original and creative!

Kelli W said...

Ohmygoodness! That is the cutest box ever! Thanks for sharing!

Holly Lefevre said...

Stopping by from the Blog Fest...again. I am so impressed...you are so very creative. This is a great project. Love it.

Holly @ 504 Main

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP