Monday, December 7, 2009

Clothespin Photo Holders

Here is another easy little project I've been working on. You may have seen decoupaged clothespins before but most of the time they have a magnet on the back and are for using on the refrigerator. Well my fridge isn't magnetic so that's out. But I still loved the look of these cute little things, what to do...hmmm....and the idea for stand up photo holders came to me. To make them gather: clothespins, decorative papers, embellishments - like these fun foam stickers I picked up, and mod podge.
Measure and cut long strips of paper. Cut pieces so you have one for the front and one for the back of the clothespins. Attach with a thin layer of mod podge.
This can take awhile if you have a bunch to do, but it's fairly mindless work if you work on them assembly style. Pick out a good movie and get to work. Pretty soon you'll have a stack of them.
Then just stick on a sticker or whatever kind of embellishment you have. Just a little tip, you might want to use a little bit of baby powder on the back of the stickers, on the part that is not stuck to the clothespin. This will cut down on the tackiness and prevent things from sticking together.
Aren't they cute holding up your favorite photos? I think this one of my brother humoring his little niece by playing endless tea party is really sweet.
As you can see I've been busy making them in sets of three or four, getting them ready for little stocking stuffer. I liked how these came out so much that I'm planning on making some snowflake ones in shades of blue, to display wintry pictures all season long.
This is an easy craft to make for any time of the year. I made this set for ER's preschool teacher. The foam shapes are by American Crafts and I used little Making Memories rubs-on in the middle of each. I attached a card to her from the class and placed the whole thing on her desk right before Thanksgiving. She was quite touched and since she has three kids, these will be perfect for displaying a picture of each.

This is my contribution to my friend Xazmin's Mod Podge Mania Monthly Blog Feature. See more of the crafting that been going on around the blogisphere on the blog linkies this post is a part of:
NewlyWoodards: Dare to DIY
A Kindred Spirit's Thoughts: Creative Mama's Monday
It's so Very Cheri: It's so very Creative
Cottage Instincts: Make It for Monday
The Persimmon Perch: Made it Monday
Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphois Monday
The DIY Showoff: Holiday Hightlights

27 Friends Said:

The Activity Mom said...

those turned out great! I love them!

Andrea said...

Those are too adorable! What a great and fun craft!

RoS said...

WOW - I LOVE these!! Wouldn't they make a great stocking stuffer?? HINT - HINT !! :)

Anonymous said...

Your so darn creative! I wish I had a creative bone in me but I'm not sure I do lol I love these :)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Adorable! If you glued several to a ribbon and hung on a wall, they'd make a great kids artwork display - and at a much better price than Pottery Barn Kids or Land of Nod! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kelli said...

I love these. this is a craft that I keep saying I want to try. Thanks for the tutorial.

Rebecca said...

What a cute easy idea! Love it!

Mama King said...

I like how you jazzed them up. I think I may have some clothes pins laying around...

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

omg! the gingerbread look so cute:) i love the new blog look too!! what a cute idea, as always;)

Lynn said...

These are so cute - I might have to make these for my co-workers, I think they'd be great for people to keep on their desks!

Maureen said...

Sweet and simple! What's not to love!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Very cute! I love that they are both simple and personal. Thanks for joining in the party today.

Desi @ Wee Share said...

Katie- I actually used an idea I found on your blog for my Creative Mama Monday post.

http://weeshare.blogspot.com/2009/12/creative-mamas-monday.html

Desi

Iva Messy said...

those are FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Pretty stuff.

Julie said...

What a great idea. The little embellishments really make them special! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Its So Very Cheri said...

Now those are super cute.

Cheri

Xazmin said...

They turned out so cute! And what a fun idea to use them standing up as photo holders!

Shona Cole said...

You have tons of great ideas. Love this idea, simple but super cute. thanks for sharing

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

So cute!! I love these! What a great way to display something and I love that you could change it up for almost anything. Thanks for sharing them!!

Sandra said...

These are the cutest clothes-pins I have seen all year...thanks for the idea!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Super cute idea!

kw said...

I am sooo making these as presents this year!!!! Have I told you yet that you are a genius! And I *HEART* your blog??!

trish said...

Cute, fun and easy! Can't wait to try making these cuties... maybe clip them on a gift card for teacher gifts!

Leanne said...

I love these clothespins. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Jaedyn said...

These are SO cute and creative, I love them! :-)

I've been trying to figure out how to show all the photos I want, and I think you've helped a lot. ;-)

Vickie said...

Wait a minute!! Your fridge isn't magnetic;)

Those are cute!! I have seen the clothespin look before but yours is so adorable!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP