Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Year in Review, Photo Collage

I take so many pictures that I end up having several throughout the year that I want to display. Since I can't literally cover every square inch of my walls, I came up with the idea to make a year in review photo collage for 2009 and have it printed as enlargement.

I ordered it as one of my blogger appreciation prizes for holding a giveaway with Digital Room, meaning that besides the time put into creating my digital collage, it was free because we already had the frame.
I began by turning yet again, to one of my favorite digital resources, the free photo templates available at scrapbook etc., this one to be exact. I altered it to fit my needs by cropping it and turning it into a six box template. Next, I dragged it onto my PS Elements blank document and resized it until I could fit four of the six box templates in my space. It took some effort to get things lined up and sized correctly.

Then the fun part, picking out the pictures! All of these appear in photobooks or traditional scrapbooks but this is way to get them out of the books and onto the wall, where I can see and relive the moments everyday.

Each picture on the collage is 3X3 inches and the whole thing is 16X20. I planned for a large border around the whole thing that I cut off before framing, as the poster was originally 18X24.
I also planned for some extra space to show off the pretty purple digital paper I picked, to coordinate with our great room decor and the word art, I downloaded from Creative Memories, again for free, that I thought was especially appropriate for this project.

(It is with regret that I cannot figure out what talented digital designer created the paper or I'd share the credit with you.)
Here it is hanging on our wall. If I was really snazzy I would've planned for some elements to be overlapping the photos so there wouldn't be such a clearly defined edge between the photos and the bottom. Regardless, I love how it turned out! I spent a long time on it, searching out the right paper and quote and it is quite literally the largest digital project I've ever made.

11 Friends Said:

MaryAnne said...

This is really, really neat! It must have taken a lot of time, but it will be a memory to have forever =)

Jennifer said...

BEAUTIFUL!! What a great idea!

Crystal said...

Very beautiful Katie. I love the idea of display a bunch of photos and yours tured out great.
-Crystal

Millie said...

Beautiful collage! I am not a digi but this is such a cool idea I might give it a try!!

Anonymous said...

Katie that is so beautiful. You did a great job, and some wonderful memories. I may have to do one of these.

malia said...

cute family! looks great katie... you are inspiring me to get off my duff and do something similar!

Christy said...

This collage is GORGEOUS! I've been out of the loop the last few days, and will be hit or miss the next week and half, but I'm glad you commented so I could sneak over in the midst of 'work and stuff'...eww!
The apothocary duck idea is just too great! I've never seen it, but I have the jars, and now I want to go get two more package of ducks! You may have unleashed a monster. ;o)
I found the cow icon on Office Word. If you can't find it let me know and I can copy and paste it in an email or something. :O) Happy Weekend!

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

Wow what a great idea! This is definitely something I need to do - you have inspired me! thanks so much for dropping by! :)

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

i really like that year in review collage!! what a fab idea;)

Susana said...

This is beautiful Katie. You are so good at making scrapbook pages and pictures, keepsakes for your family.

I bet you have loads of family scrapbooks! Do you do Stampin Up? Just curious.

Diane said...

OMGosh, how did you know I have been wanting to make some collages! Thank you so much for the link to the free ones. Those are great.

Love the one you did of your family. What a great way to look back at the year in review :o)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP